This post is specifically for those of you who think you don't have to abide by the rules & laws of the road: YOU DO! Those laws & rules are for EVERYONE, not just some of us... I know I'm not the only one to get pissed when they get cut off in traffic, and I know I'm not the only one who laughs my ass off when that same driver is seen pulled over by the cops just up the road. So, here are a few things to remember when driving (especially in inclement weather, but really... anytime):
1. Whether you want to turn or just change lanes, turn on your signal. If your signals don't work, it is perfectly acceptable (and legal) to use bicyclist's hand signals.
2. When you are merging from two lanes down to one, it should be "left car, right car, left car, right car..." Don't be rude & push your way in behind a car that was already let in.
3. When a driver allows you in front of them (regardless of if it was your turn or not), waving to them is the correct "thank you."
4. Drive the speed limit; a bit slower in bad weather, a bit faster in good weather (keeping up with traffic). If you MUST go slower, use the right lane; that's what it's for. If you MUST pass, use the left lane. Going a lot slower than moving traffic is not any safer than speeding; both can lead to accidents (which, btw, aren't "accidental" in my book; they're on purpose because of your stupidity).
5. Keep your distance. In good weather, the proper distance between cars is one car length per 10m/hr (that's 5-6 car lengths apart on the freeways, people!). In inclement weather (rainy, windy, snowy, icy), that distance should be more... and slow down! Your car's response time is not as fast as you think it is.
6. Make sure you have proper insurance, as well as a current driver's license. Failure to have these could lead to some serious consequences -- tickets, having your vehicle towed, losing/suspending your license & possibly jail.
Readers -- this is definitely not a complete list, but one off the top of my head after driving to & from work today, and watching the idiots act... well... like idiots on the road. Please feel free to comment, adding more to this list. I hope to share it on my FB wall. Thanks.