Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Life Is Good

First -- a house update:
B.H. finally came and picked up the old dresser set. I had two coordinating nightstands & an armoire that she took first, then came back on the weekend to get the dresser & its matching mirror. Those pieces are HEAVY, but that's what you get for having real oak. I'm a little sad to see them go; they're beautiful pieces. But, they aren't our style so "see ya"!
We got the other dressers built (with a little handyman reinforcement) and installed. Then, since these drawers are so much larger than the oak ones, we had to take some of the clothing that was in the closet to fill the rest of the drawers. That was nice... and now leaves room for a safe (which, of course, will be bolted to the floor -- didn't you watch "It Takes A Thief"?). A friend of mine owns a guns & accessories store, so we'll be checking out what he has to see if one will work for our needs.
Yesterday, we went to pick out (after weeks of research) our new bedroom television. We were looking at Sony, but as it turns out, the Samsung we ended up getting has a MUCH better picture. I also was able to talk the electronics store sales guy down a bit (side note: Suze Orman, financial guru, says for any large-ticket item, since the profit margins are so high, you should ALWAYS ask for a discount... but go in educated and prepared). Next step on that is to upgrade our digital package.

Second -- a life update:
Medically, I've had a few more than my fair share of doc appointments this year... Seems my girly issues are getting a little worse. I won't go into detail, but I will tell you that I have great support both with my doctor's office and my family & friends. If you're curious, email me and I'll fill you in.
Emotionally, we've been on a bit of a roller coaster. Our eldest will be 18 in December, and was finally able to get his driver's permit. Rules have changed quite a bit since Ace & I first got our permits & licenses, but Gamerboy is taking it all in a stride. He's had a few "iffy" moments, but is doing well. He's been working on some personal issues, but by summer, that should be figured out, and he should have a job. Squeeks decided that she isn't waiting that long, so she presented us with a plan that involves her getting her permit, taking driver's ed, getting her license, and working after school on the mountain. She's not even 15 yet, but at least she has "a plan"! We're so proud.
Some of our summer plans are still being finalized, but we have a few things already set: my annual girls' trip, the older kids' summer time with us, Squeeks' summer camp, Princess' camp w/Mimi, Princess' annual trip, and a beach trip. We still have to talk to the General Contractor about doing the kitchen & floors (hoping for July, but we'll see what his schedule looks like), and the painter about some interior work (although we may do that ourselves; Princess LOVES to help us paint). There are, of course, all the little things to do, too... home improvement is detailed work. But, those things happen as we have time. I'm just so thankful that Ace and I work so well together; makes these things that much easier.

Third -- a legal update:
Princess is doing well. Her B.D. is only calling about once a month now, & she's happy about that. He still hasn't given her the presents he supposedly has (birthday was in Nov, and Xmas) for her... I don't know why he can't just put them in a box and ship them to her!
After the two checks that our government intercepted for me (from his tax refunds), no other money has been received; not even the measly $28.15 he was supposed to have to me no later than March 13th (his half of what insurance didn't cover for both her regular check-up and her ortho consult). I am also still waiting for a bill from fixing her two front teeth, and that one is going to be a LOT more. Perhaps he's forgotten that unpaid medical bills accrue a 9% per annum interest rate, just like the child support and attorney fees...?
B.D.'s wife has been busy on the internet, as well... Seems she thinks that even though she gets support from her eldest daughter's bio-dad, B.D. doesn't have to pay support to me. She claims that since I don't "need" it, they shouldn't have to pay it. She also likes to spout little bits of "wisdom" like, "...being a real parent has nothing to do with $$ and everything to do with love..." and threats like "... Gearing up to take back what's really ours..." (sorry, but even if the $$ was paid in full, he'd still have a LONG way to go before he gets any parenting time); not to mention the fact that she's now taken to leaving comments on my own profile. Childish, yes?
Regardless, all these tidbits are printed and filed for my records, but the question is: Why does she still bother? She's talked to my daughter twice since B.D. lost his parenting time (2 1/2 years ago!) -- it's obvious she doesn't even like the Princess, let alone love her. So, all this posturing is for one reason, and one reason only: to try to upset me. I have an idea... stop the whining & childish behaviors, and make B.D. start DOING something. Or, both of you could just leave us alone completely. She has a great set of parents, here...
While money is not, of course, the MAIN idea in good parenting, being responsible is... Being responsible includes paying ALL your bills, even ones you don't want to pay. A good parent will put aside their own feelings and do what's best for their child... every time. And, a child who is raised properly, as we're raising our Princess, knows exactly who's been there for them, and who's all talk.

Fourth -- miscellaneous:
Today is another example of what a REAL (good) parent does. Ace got up two hours earlier than his normal wake time to get Princess up and off to school, then returned 1/2 hour later to help chaperone her grade's latest field trip. Between Ace and I, we've chaperoned almost EVERY field trip she's had... since she started kindergarten! How many times has B.D. done it? Once; when she was in the first grade. Interestingly, when that teacher gave her the choice of who she wanted to be assigned to, she chose me. She ALWAYS chooses me.

1 comment:

  1. It's obvious to me who the real parents of the Princess are. BD should be ashamed of the way he has treated your little girl. I hope that someday he truly regrets what he's done...

    ReplyDelete